8 months on...

So its February 5th 2009 and I am sitting in my room in a lovely house in Sheffield that I am now renting thinking about quite how much has happened since I last blogged over 8 months ago....

I had planned on picking up blogging to share some photos I had from a John Mayer gig I went to on July 24th 2008 - the day I found out I passed my medical finals. And procrastinated blogging in my semi-perfectionistic way so that I could do that, but as I cannot find the cable for my phone to net, that never happened. Then half a year passed and here I am. In reference to said gig, it was definitely memorable. Partly because I fully intended to attend it whatever my MBChB results may have been, but rather than commiseration it was a great night of celebration and was therefore probably one of the best gigs I have been to - the drive two hours each way from Derbyshire to Birmingham also made it feel like quite an adventure simply to get there and back.

Just thought I'd round up on what I have been up to lately and to help me in being thankful, so here goes....


  • June 2009 - finished finals in Bath and had a very fun bbq with final year medics on bath's royal crescent thanks to our kind clinical fellow who was renting a flat there. Then went to Malmo, Sweden to visit Emma Nordeborn (now Henson and her lovely husband Dave). Twas' really lovely to chill out after finals (I was mentally and physically exhausted) and share Emma and Dave's preparations for their wedding, which I sadly had to miss in August. It was my first trip to Sweden and Scandinavia and made a great impression.
  • July - 5 nights in Ile De Re, France with Liz (if you are reading this we need to get in touch soon, I'm going to try calling you this sat night!). This was uber special, especially as we both felt like we had got through a lot with finals and just life in general, so an island getaway to this fab place was a true blessing from God. Cannot believe how much we needed that holiday. We literally pottered around La Rochelle, walked along the beach, cycled round the island (not much!), read a lot and mellowed out. This was partly because everything was pretty expensive but was primarily because that's what I think we both needed. It was interesting when I ran out of money in France, can't quite believe that happened we'd both split costs, e.g. flights, accommodation but last summer I have to admit I was living off my overdraft which was not a good plan but we made it home okay...just!
  • August - once I'd found a home via gumtree, and moved to Sheffield, I began starting out as an F1 doctor. Having read, I believe its called "trust me i'm a junior doctor" i felt i had much insight into the scary realities of being a junior doc on the wards, as this book was basically a first year doc's diary of his life starting August of his qualification year. it didn't make comfortable bed time reading but was helpful nonetheless. thankfully due to an amazing care of the elderly consultant and other team members i felt really supported and although emotional, very up and down, it was amazing feeling like i was finally doing something with my degree and actually with patients....sadly these days that feeling seems to have dissipated, as in my current job seems like i am fire fighting a lot of the time as there aren't enough people on the ward and currently sad to say, just feel like sometimes the system can let patients down. This really isn't true all the time, but I think post-holiday today there are a couple of patients i am really worried about and feel like i am never quite doing enough, this to me seems to be the difference between medical and surgical (where i am now) wards.
  • Also went to Greenbelt festival with my sister to see what it is really like. Not quite what i expected, plus we went only on sunday so didn't see loads of talks. But seeing Beth Rowley was a highlight, was introduced to her by bristolians and so glad. She has been nominated for a brit award this year, so well done her.
  • Encountered night shifts for the first time.
  • September - joined a rather nice gym in sheffield - yes i am a gym member, no i am not very good at the gym lifestyle and constantly reviewing whether i should shutdown my membership! For example, I should have gone tonight but after my scary experiences on snow thought I wouldn't risk it, pants excuse and not proud of it! Also hooked up with an old school friend who is doing architecture here, nice to have that connection.
  • Went to Chatsworth Gardens, saw the very contemporary sculpture exhibition.
  • October was holiday month. My gorgeous girlfriends Helen, Janice and Bronwen were met in Litton Mill where Bronwen was brought up in the Derbyshire Dales. Here we spend a weekend of walking, eating, knitting by the fire and general girlified stuff. It was so good to see them and I was so touched that they came up all the way to see me.
  • Spent a week in Albuifeira, Algarve, Portugal with my dear school friend Katie, also turned 24 there. So good to have a half term break and for the first time spend it somewhere hot - what an indulgence. Was surprised by how warm it was (mid-20s) and pleasantly surprised by the quietness of the beaches. Really lovely to spend time with Katie, someone I had lost touch with.
  • Celebrated my niece Grace's 8th birthday party with her friends, my sisters and my brother-in-law's family at Cadbury's world. Had lots of fun watching 8 year old girls have a party!
  • November sadly involved a car accident, that rendered my car a total loss. Having never had a car accident, I was pretty traumatised especially as it was my fault, it was an accident but the kind I never thought I would have and being me, felt completely responsible for. My parent's graciously came up to sheffield and the following weekend i picked up my mum's car and used that for a month until mine was replaced this January. Spent lots of money and time on the phone to my insurance company over the past month. In terms of learning, learnt in real terms a lot about God's protection over me, and how he is sovereign, neither me or the other party were seriously injured but a school wall and both our cars were written off. My housemates and friends (whom I have only known for 6 months now) were an amazing support and picked me up from the site, made me sweet tea and listened to me re-live it all. At work the next day everyone was really loving, and helped get me to work for a week. A new friend also took me to the cinema the following mind to take my mind off things, although don't recomment a Bond movie after such a trauma!
  • Debz came to stay - second trip to Chatsworth House and Gardens, although memorable for slightly different reasons - I managed to be sick in the Chapel (!) really lovely to have Debz come up from London and show her some of the local sights.
  • Also the month I decided to settle into St Thomas' Crookes and more importantly Transition cluster.

Think I am going to leave catching up on Dec and Jan for another time......... so much has happened I don't think I quite realised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays