Reluctant post

 1, 8, 2, 8, 11, 90 – the number of days between each blog post since I first attempted to start writing again on 30th March. How did I start so well and then lose focus so quickly? Funnily enough I had thought I started writing for me and me alone so when just before my last post, I found out someone was actually reading these ramblings, I slightly freaked out. Someone I respected was actually bothering to read my posts? Someone cared enough about my conscious thoughts to take time to read this thing? Clearly that knowledge had an impact on my and days turned into weeks, turned into months and here I am 90 days later wondering what the point of doing this was again. Trying to write something coherent when my flow of thoughts is so incoherent. Not knowing whether it’ll help me, whether there’s any point and there’s a lot on my mind right now.

For want of a better description of the situation, let’s just say I have been having a bit of an existential crisis in recent weeks. In the intervening months a lot has happened, the government triggered Article 50 and are currently in talks with the EU over Brexit. To say they are not going well is an understatement. he hugely unexpected swing in the general election significantly reduced the ‘strong and stable’ position our conservative PM had hoped for, further devastating terrorist attacks have taken place in London and a fire in a tower block in London has claimed the lives of many in the richest borough in the nation. I heard yesterday that the five richest families in this country own more wealth than the poorest 20% of the nation – it’s a statistic that is hard to swallow and I haven’t fact-checked it but regardless of it’s accuracy we know we live in a divided nation.


So my ‘crisis’ has to do with purpose, vision, future direction, all the usual stuff the average millennial struggles with. I guess for various reasons, I have just found myself staring at potentially 35 years of service in the public sector and wondering if that’s what I actually want from my life. I’ve found myself wondering if 15+ years of hard work to get myself into the position I am in has been worth it.  I know this is in the context of a four year cap on wages, a diminishing health service from a workforce perspective and the threat of Brexit on that being unknown but it is still a heavy question in my mind and it’s a challenge to bypass it and focus on what I need to do now when it is so present in my mind. When you have to pay the bills and do all the other stuff just to get through the day however, it doesn’t leave you much space to think about whether or not this is what you really want, not for me anyway so I just keep walking around feeling like this cloud of doubt and uncertainty is following me around and the dissatisfaction of a future that looks so grim at times to be frank, stares me down with little silver linings to see from where I am standing. The obvious way to remedy this way is to sign up to a conference I can’t afford and get some fresh vision from people who are feeling inspired about the future in this sector but isn’t that just a bandaid fix? Won’t I be feeling this way a few weeks later? The other short-term aid is a holiday and well I’ve just got back from one of those. Didn’t do me any good either, feel worse than I did before I left. Not sure quite what’s left now so I’m writing about it; writing about my lack of direction and focus, navel-gazing. I’m not sure right now that it is going to lead me to a better place either. Perhaps I should phone my dad. He might have something good to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh beginnings Day 29

Isaiah 55

you saw him here first