Is the good always the enemy of the best?

Apparently so.

So the phrase 'the good being an enemy of the best' keeps popping up in conversation, books, devotionals and frankly I don't think I quite know what this actually means in practical reality.

Its all very well telling that to someone, but how do you recognise when the 'good' thing is not the 'best' thing? Especially when you may never have tasted the best, how do you know that there's more than the good you are experiencing. I suppose in all of us, there would be that sense, that gut-level sensation telling us, there must be something more, but apart from that, I find the phrase rather unhelpful. So any insight, is welcomed right here!

Something I am beginning to realise, in a rather painful way, is the fact that our security and identity, well actually my security and identity seems to very much be locked up in all kinds of things other than Jesus. I'm realising that I have probably over the years, sought my identity in achievement (not even paritcularly great achievement), friendships, even my appearance, the pleasing of others, the stuff I own, pretty much everything around and about me that I could misplace my idenity in. And to be honest, as basic a realisation it is, its also a very painful one - and I am finding it hard to let go. When I say "let go" I mean surrender all the stuff which I have held onto so tightly for security, self-worth and stability, and grasp hold of his hands. Is this, I hear you say, some good stuff, relationships, people, friends, work being an enemy of the best stuff - ie all He has to offer me, his eternal promises, treasures in heaven. Maybe it is, in fact it probably is yes, damn it, I know it is, and I know that the truth is He is the truth, not this other stuff I cling onto. So why do I find it so damn hard to let go and trust, wholeheartedly, from the tips of my fingers and toes to the top of my head, say yes, yes, yes to him. God only knows, I'm thankful for his patience, he waits a lifetime for us to look to him fully, total eye contact, no looking beyond his face for something new and better.... He thinks we're worth waiting for... why then do I fail to believe, he really wants my all. Cuz he does, he wants it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays