Velupillai Prabhakaran, the Tamil Tiger leader dead.

Since before I was born my native land of Srilanka has been in civil war. Today it was announced that Prabhakaran the leader of the Tamil Tigers has been shot dead resulting in much celebration on the streets of Colombo. For me and many others I know that this celebration seems slightly premature, this article entitled; The Tigers are beaten but it isn't over yet has some observations in it that are helpful in understanding exactly why peace in Srilanka seems to me not yet tangible.
Tight restrictions on jounalism within Srilanka's war zones means much civilian death remains unreported. The government may claim victory today and believe their military efforts to be rewarded and even justified in the death of this terrorist leader but at what human cost?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays