Taylor's Mistake


Apparently Taylor a Captain or crew member of a ship travelling from Australia came in a little too North and landed at what is now known as Taylors Mistake Beach. He believed it to be Lyttleton harbour which is the main harbour of Christchurch where the first pioneers landed or so goes the story. It seems a rather vague one and no one knows quite whether Taylor was just a member of a crew or a captain but regardless of the extent of the truth of the story the name has stuck.

I live about a twenty minute walk from this beach which has breath-taking view all around - took myself down there yesterday for the afternoon with wildly ambitious plans to read and pray but ended up doing some idle lying in the sun. The lack of cloud cover in NZ seems to mean that you really do need your sunglasses - have never quite experienced that feeling of your eyes being overwhelmed by the brightness before yesterday.

Although I have no camera I just discovered an application called 'photo booth' this afternoon on my macbook so snapped a few pics of where I am living. Here's a couple of the view of the pacific. Hmmm...yes never quite thought I would use the phrase 'view of the pacific' in once sentence with relevance to my life but I am enjoying something that is very surreal at the moment but becoming more normal. Having been brought up in the Midlands it is quite a contrast. You do really feel like you live at the end of the earth sometimes when you look out and see ocean stretching before you - wowza - its definitely awe-inspiring.


Comments

Marts said…
Nice view! Mine is of the Karori hills in Wellington but i am having photo loading issues so can't show you a pic....

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays