The lure of the latest vogue

So today, I had a lot of fun window shopping.....and yes I did manage to just look and not buy! I only spent 80 pence on 2 picks to help me master guitar strumming, plucking etc and 39p on milk.

I personally believe that my ability today to resist the temptations of fashion was really quite a triumph. Now that is partly due to the nature of my weaknesses, in other words, the fact that my security can often be placed in the way I look, or the way I think I look. Not a great place for it to be located, and especially when I am trying to avoid spending money in Broadmead shopping centre, when it seems like just about everyone around you is!

But not only did today highlight to me the reasons why I may or may not spend money on items of clothing, and how they are not always so good and healthy. It also helped me realise the immense power of advertising and how it literally can and does manipulate you into buying those much needed items right? You know those things, items of clothing, gadgets, makeup that you really, really DON'T need??? I was shocked when in H &M I found a couple of really great things and really had to push myself out of the door, remembering why I can't spend right now and most of all remembering where my true treasure lies.

Hence I sit here now with a smug feeling of victory, that I did not fall victim to the seductive power of the advertisements, and also live advertisements of retail workers, who really are so happy to sell you stuff you just don't need.

Man alive, its liberating to be at home, where I am not pestered into buying stuff I just don't need and know that I am not judged based purely on my appearance, style (or lack thereof), handbag and the rest.... its a good feeling. I do however wonder what winter coat Jesus would encourage me to buy if he was here, now on this Oh so very cold day - 110C, man, no wonder I was cold!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays