Prayer

so i've just started reading a book by Phillip Yancey on prayer, his exploration as a pilgrim thinking about that great and mysterious thing we do all the time - prayer.

just wanted to share some comments and quotes from the first couple of chapters which describe a little of why we all yearn to pray, to be in connection with the uncreated one, so here they are.

"The reason why we pray is simply that we cannot help praying"
William James
"After twenty years of listening to the yearnings of people's hearts, I am convinced that human beings have an inborn desire for God. Whether we are conciously religious or not, this desire is our deepest longing and most precious treasure".
Psychiatrist Gerald C May
Confession:
"God, if these people knew about me, what you know about me, they wouldn't listen to a word I said"
Hadden Robinson
"I cannot receive healing unless I accept God's diagnosis of my wounded state"
Phillip Yancey
"Only he who is helpless can truly pray"
Phillip Yancey
"We must trust God with what God already knows"
C.S Lewis
Prior to the first chapter entitled "Our Deepest Longing" Yancey includes the following anecdote.
When a doctoral student at Princeton asked, 'What is there left in the world for original dissertation research?' Albert Einstein replied, 'Find out about prayer. Somebody must find out about prayer.'
This thing we do from a visible to an invisible world seems to have remained mysterious yet also tangible for centuries. I'm enjoying some time to think about it some more, just hope thinking about it doesn't stop me from doing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays