Quick catch up

Just trying to bring myself up-to-date with the last 6 months and in a rather awfully convoluted fashion have brought myself to December which I can say was colder than I am used to in Bristol just by a few degrees. It seemed to fly by really, was nice to share celebrating it with a few friends in sheffield, the Senior family at the lovely and legendary Christmas party, my cell group and friends from work. One first year doctor, organised a christmas do for us. This was a real mission, as people who work with me in Chesterfield live in Derby, Sheffield and Nottingham due to medical rotations varying quite a lot!

January was an interesting month. In it I realised that the job I started in November had been quite emotionally/mentally stressful and draining for lots of reasons. Unfortunately I typically don't think I had fully acknowledged it and one Sunday night it all came out on the phone to my dad as I realised it was all too much. God really lifted me out of that. And now I'm in February and have had a full 6 months working as a new doctor and living in a new city with new friends I have to say although I am not sure Sheffield will be a long term home, it was really pleasant in the first couple of months to have a realisation that cities other than bristol have their obvious plus points and being able to imagine myself settling somewhere else was a good thing. Now however a recent visit to bristol has reminded me that friendships that are made in years, are exactly that ... made in years (!) and hence my current struggle with really wanting to put roots down, make a bigger effort and work hard at living and working and being here but recently I have struggled a lot with wanting to understand exactly what this year here is about for me. Feeling very humbled by the fact I don't know and I don't think I will know over the next 6 months, but I just ought to get on with it and trust that God is worrying about the big picture because when I start to worry about that my thoughts become nonsense and really unhelpful.

Reading Dan Wilt's thoughts on pilgrimage ...... a physical journey with a spiritual destination provided some clarity and provocation of good thoughts. I would recommend a read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays