Thomas Merton says it best

I was reminded of Thomas Merton's prayer below when reading Dan Wilt's blog (a Canadian worship leader) and although I don't feel I am able to fully pray this prayer I want to be able to and thank God that that last sentence is always true.

“My Lord God I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really
know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually
doing so.

But I believe that my desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I have that
desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I
know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will
not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”

Comments

Esmeralda said…
Hey sweetie,

I miss you so....miss hearing your thoughts and so glad you've decided to blog again. I've faithfully come along regularly waiting for the day there'd be a new post.

Thanks for sharing Thomas Merton's prayer, never heard it. After some weeks of 'sailing' along in the Lord's strength, I felt depleted this weekend, which took me by surprise really, but I've just finished reading Stepping Heavenward(first real book I've read since finals!!!) which is the biography of a Christian starting in her teens before she is saved and follows her till her death. It's a treasure, to be reminded of the joys and sorrows of this walk, the highs and lows. We keep going not necessarily because we have 'seen', or it makes sense all the time, but because we trust however weakly(sadly), this God we know.

1 Corinthians 13: 12:

'For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.'

Onward we go!

Love you lots!

Liz xxx

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 55

Fresh beginnings Day 29

summer holidays